Rawhide Dog Treat Danger

The last number of weeks have demostrated me these products may be dangerous to your pet’s health.

Last month, our 3 years old Sheltie was happily chewing away when, suddenly, he soon began to choke and gag. He stumbled on me heaving and nothing tummy flatness, although up. I tried to find the thing that was lodged in the throat, but couldn’t reach it.

Upon calling our vet, we raced him over and she sedated him and probed for the cause. I knew it had been a bit of rawhide. After he came awake, he tried to vomit but couldn’t. He was given an inducer and threw up a bit.

That night, he soon began vomiting blood. He was restless all night and I sat on top of him and held him so he may get some rest. In the morning, he was resting comfortably, when he suddenly went limp. His gums were purple and breathing ragged.

We raced towards the vet; she put him on fluids, sedated him and took x-rays. He almost died.

The problem was obviously a large chunk, how big golf balls, stuck as part of his small intestine, just under the opening from the stomach.

When he was stabilized, surgery was performed, the obstruction removed and the man was sewn back up and kept for observation for a few days.

He seemed to perk up, was sent home with pain meds and antibiotics and a bland diet. The next day, he was listless and owning a temperature of 106, very dangerous. Back for the vet, more x-rays along with the vet was required to go ahead and take off 3 inches of his small intestine. The blockage with the rawhide had caused necrosis, or rotting, of that a part of his intestine.

Another few days of observation anf the husband was kind of returning to his old self. He was sent home with pain meds and antibiotics, bland diet and also to be watched carefully with frequent temperature checks.

I can happily point out that now, 25 days later, he or she is back to his normal self. He is eating regularly, drinking, playing and alive. But 2 surgeries, lots of money later and weeks of recovery, even though of an item of rawhide, have shown us that people will not be utilizing it any longer.

Large dogs seem to swallow and digest rawhide much better than small dogs. Their stomach and intestines are larger, therefore allowing larger pieces to feed. However, there’s always a chance that it can become an obstruction.

If you give your canine rawhide, natural is easier to digest than man-made. And small dogs really should not be given large bits of rawhide. There are sticks available which can be sufficient for the small dog to chew instead of chips or bones.

Our vet suggested an alternative to rawhide chews. Give your canine dental sticks or dental bones. These are made to separation when chewed so no large pieces are ingested and so they break up without trouble in the system. They are manufactured from natural ingredients so there’s nothing foreign in the body.

So, if you’re giving your canine rawhide, please monitor him carefully. If the piece he could be chewing gets too small, take it away from him. If your small dog is trying to swallow a large piece, again, get it away.

Rawhide can be a popular toy/treat for dogs. I have shared my knowledge about that you show you the hazards which might be involved. I really hope that you just never have to move through what we should did these last number of weeks. Proper use and monitoring of this product can help you save lots of problems.